What is pipe bursting?
Pipe bursting is a trenchless method of replacing buried pipelines such as sewer, water, or natural gas pipes. There are tons of benefits of utilizing this method because it eliminates the need for a traditional construction trench. Launching and receiving pits replace the trench needed by conventional pipe-laying.
There are pros and cons to choosing this trenchless technology. Let’s break down a few key things to consider before choosing pipe bursting.
Pipe bursting pros:
- It’s the least expensive option when it comes to rehabilitating your sewer drain lines in Los Angeles.
- It’s TRULY a seamless pipe that is fused together that will NEVER allow root infestation and never crack. It is also a pipe that is a membrane material, meaning it will always go back to its original state.
- There is a lifetime warranty you can typically expect to get from a Los Angeles plumber.
Pipe bursting cons:
- It requires 2 holes, entry and exit, on the property to be able to launch and receive both ends of the pipe, so the connection can be made.
- So if you don’t want your decorative driveway, or landscape excavated, then consider another option such as epoxy lining.
Twin tip – Trenchless pipe bursting in Los Angeles
If you do decide to go with trenchless pipe bursting, then make sure your licensed Los Angeles plumbing contractor double wraps and seals both connections to prevent root intrusion.
Heres how the twin plumbers do it:
Pipe bursting fail: Case study
We recently completed a project in Thousand Oaks, where we detected a gas leak in several spots underground. The gas pipe was made of poly pipe, feeding the back yard BBQ and terminating at the pool equipment approx 200 feet away from the gas meter. The gas line was running under 90 feet of concrete, then on the grass for another 90 feet. This is a perfect application for trenchless pipe bursting. So we thought!
We performed our entry and exit holes in prep for pipe bursting, we then launched our poly pipe through the poly gas line. 70 feet in, we hit a major block of concrete and lost our head. We had no choice but to dig up the concrete in front of the BBQ to retrieve the pipe bursting head.
This is the ONLY unforeseen issue with the pipe bursting method that can cause a job to increase in price. This is not the Los Angeles plumber’s fault, because there is no way to predict this underground structure.
So be aware of this going into a contract with your plumber.
What does pipe bursting cost?
Trenchless pipe bursting in Los Angeles can range in cost depending on the accessibility, footage, depth and how many holes you have to excavate on your property.
If you know the footage and depth of your sewer line, you can multiply that by $60-$100 per foot, to give you your best and worst-case scenario.
The average home spends about $4,500 on pipe bursting for about 40 feet of pipe replacement.
If you want the best cost on pipe bursting for your sewer line in Los Angeles, then always get two to three bids. Twin Home Experts will ALWAYS help get you the best price. Give us a call today so we can help you.