As a premier bath remodeling company in the Los Angeles area for over 28 years, today, we’re here to provide you important tips for choosing & planning your bath remodeling project.
Here are questions directly from some of our Los Angeles customers and answers from The Twins.
“I’m thinking of remodeling my bathroom, and trying to budget. How much do you charge?” – Greg W., Los Angeles, CA
This is the most asked question we get here at The Twin Home Experts bath customer care call center.
When it comes to pricing, budgeting is truly important, every property owner has a certain budget, style of home, desires, motivations to get it ready for a sale, a rental or plan on living in the home forever.
When it comes to pricing, this also depends on finishes, type of bathroom fixtures, vanity, tile, marble, flooring lighting & plumbing. Bathroom remodeling in the Los Angeles area on average can run an investment high of 25,000.00 to a low investment of $2800.00
You notice how I say investment, it truly is an investment, check cost vs value by remodeling.com.
“Can I save money by buying all the materials?” – Beverly C., West Hollywood, CA
You certainly can save at least 10 to 15% and possibly more, depending on what the bathroom remodelers you choose markup. You can always ask them directly.
One thing to consider is the warranty of the items you purchase. For example, if you order your own plumbing fixtures, and they’re defective, it may cost you more in the long run, and not to mention your time to deal with it. Typically there is no warranty on customer provided materials – only the install portion.
“How long does a bathroom remodel take to complete?” – Bryce A., West Hills, CA
Master bathroom: These bathrooms are larger in space, and most Los Angeles home owners invest more in this space than any other bathrooms. Depending on how much is involved in the remodel, it can last 30 days, or be done in as quick as one day.
For example, if you are relocating plumbing fixtures – such as toilets or sinks, if your doing a tub to shower conversion, wall relocation, lighting, permit requirements etc it can take as long as 30 days to just one day.
Check out our one day bath video here:
Guest bathroom: This can from 1 to 15 days, depending on the same scope as described above.
Powder bathroom: This can be completed within 1 to 10 days as well.
“How do I find the best Los Angeles bathroom remodeling companies?” – Diane T., Beverly Hills, CA
There are many resources out there, we always recommend getting at least three bids.
Here are five places to search:
- Contact your friends & family members – they’re the best resource.
- Connect with your neighbors – they will offer good feedback
- Local building supply houses – ask for general manager, and ask him/her who they would recommend.
- Online – do your thorough research, and check their online reputation.
“Once I choose a bathroom remodeler, what should I look out for when I sign the agreement?” – James P., Simi Valley, CA
Make sure there is an agreement in place, that’s detailed in the scope of work. Make sure they list the total amount, the description of each task, type of materials and model numbers of fixtures.
Make sure they provide you warranty information and payment schedule. Any remodeling company that asks for a 50% deposit – beware and DO NOT PAY, (in addition, it’s against the law.)
Here’s an example of a good payment schedule for a $10,000 remodel:
- 10% deposit upon signing
- 20% upon delivery of materials and demolition of bathroom
- 20% upon completion of flooring, plumbing and painting
- Remaining balance upon completion, final walk through and city permit final.
Check their contractors license at http://www.cslb.ca.gov/ make sure their fully insured, bonded & licensed.
Ask how they are going to protect your home from dust & cleaning, and make sure you add that to the agreement.
Add a time limit in the agreement as well, so if they go past the days they agree, you can deduct a certain amount from the contract for everyday their late.
For example: both parties agree that in the event bath remodel is not completed by (due date) then $100.00 per day will be deducted from remaining balance owed.
“What’s the process from start to finish?” – Tara K., Thousand Oaks, CA
The first process is choosing exactly what you want as far as paint colors, finishes, plumbing fixtures, vanity style, etc. Our customers come to our bathroom showroom, here in Van Nuys. This helps with getting the first stage completed, it’s super exciting to create & help design a new bathroom.
Once everything has been chosen, then the next process is demoing and preparing to install new bathroom.
12 basic steps in the bathroom remodeling process:
- Obtain a los angriest city permits where applicable pertaining to job
- Apply floor coverings and dust prevention materials in preparing for demoing.
- Disconnect & remove any old plumbing while walls are open.
- Install new plumbing, electrical in walls or in flooring
- Call for city inspection if applicable
- Patch walls, flooring pertaining to work once city inspection is approved
- Install new tub, shower tile, acrylics, marble etc
- Install flooring and base molding if applicable
- Install vanity & toilet
- Install plumbing fixture trim
- Paint & Install any items like shower towel holders, toilet paper holder, lighting trim
- Thorough clean up & walk through with homeowner/inspector
Here are some great bath remodeling resources in the Los Angeles area.
- Twin Home Experts Bath Showroom: Located at 7243 Woodley ave Van Nuys Ca 91406
- Polaris Bath & Kitchen: Located in North Hollywood
- Ferguson Pipe & Supply: ask for nearest showroom
- Snyder Diamond: Located in Pasadena
- Bell Tile: Located in the valley
- Builders Surplus & Kitchen
- Water Works
If you’re in need of a bathroom remodel and need more information, please call the Twins today, we’re here to help.